Saturday, August 2, 2014

Get Your Organization Rolling

   Last year I wanted to provide some organization for my students' table groups. Originally, I had planned to use stack-able crates turned on their sides to create shelves between the student desks. But, before I got those put together, I stumbled across these little rolling carts while I was wandering through Target.
They're compact, easily movable, and fairly inexpensive. These were on sale for $9.99! 
You can also find them in black, purple, or blue for a couple of dollars more.
Since I wanted to customize these with colors that matched my groups, I opted for plain white carts with clear drawers.

You can leave your drawer fronts clear if you prefer, but it's super simple to give them a colorful upgrade.

Materials You'll Need to Customize Your Drawer Fronts:
  • Scrapbook Paper (I used 15 sheets of 12"x 12")
  • Double-sided tape (or loops of regular tape if your in a pinch)
  • Paper Cutter
  • Ruler
  • A lamination machine 

Prep Work:
  1. Choose Your Paper: Since I already had a pile of scrapbook paper in my room (that I never got around to using at home), I started by choosing several prints in the same color family so each cart would match my table groups. You can also make each drawer the same print if you want to save paper. 
  2. Bring on the Heat! My wonderful media center assistant at my school zipped my sheets through the lamination machine (Thanks Sheila! :D), but it's easy as pie to run the sheets through in a few minutes. After the sheets are laminated, slice them apart with a pair of scissors (or ask a parent volunteer to do it for you if you're strapped for time).
  3. Measure Twice; Cut Once: Use a ruler to measure the front of one drawer (don't forget to measure the height and length). Use your paper cutter to trim down the sheet to fit the drawer. Before you cut the rest of your sheets, slide the sheet into the drawer to check the fit! If it slides in easily, use the first sheet as a template to quickly cut out your remaining drawer fronts.
  4. A Little Sticky: Now that all your drawer fronts are trimmed to perfection, pull out the double-sided sticky tape (I like this less permanent adhesive so I can switch out the fronts if I change my room theme/color scheme). Apply the tape to the print side of the decorative sheet for each drawer. I hit each corner and multiple spots in the middle (let's face it; the kids are rough on everything) to give it more sticking power. Then, carefully slide the taped front down into the drawer and press it against the plastic so the entire sheet is well adhered. Repeat with each drawer. 

When you're done, the rolling cart should look like this!
I slid my desks into a "U" shape and rolled the cart between the front two desks of each group.
The basket on top (from the Dollar Tree) holds the students classroom library books 
(they're forbidden from putting the books in their desks to keep them from getting torn up).
The little can (I've just had forever) in front of the basket holds bingo chips.
*More on that behavioral strategy later!

you might wonder. 

There are a host of possibilities, depending on your classroom needs and teaching style.
My tables do a lot of group & interactive activities. As a result, there are a few items that I want the kids to have handy so they aren't wasting time wandering around picking up materials.

Inside my carts, the kids have access to:
Top Drawer: Dictionaries, highlighters, etc. 
Middle Drawer: Netbook, charger, and microfiber wipe (for group research/product creation)
Bottom Drawer: Dry Erase Boards, makers, & erasers (1 set per person). 
*I used clean, lunch meat containers to store the markers and mini-erasers. This prevents them from rolling & clacking every time the drawer is opened.
I'd love to hear what you use rolling carts for!

In the end, I had some nice sized strips of colorful, laminated paper. 
Teachers recycle everything so I had to think of something to create from my leftovers.
I used my paper cutter to slice them into colorful little bookmarks. 
My students can pick these up from the book nook whenever they need to mark their place in a text.
They love the colorful little strips, and I love making the most of everything!

   Have fun getting your room together for a brand-new year!
 photo signature-37.png

No comments:

Post a Comment