Saturday, March 22, 2014

Pic Collage Vocabulary

  As I mentioned in my previous post, Pic Collage is one of my new favorite apps! My students love it too. In fact, they have already started teaching me new tools and techniques that they've discovered. :)
  Last week, we started using Pic Collage to enhance our vocabulary skills. Each morning we work on a Word of the Day in our vocabulary notebooks. My students start by sounding out and printing the word. Then, I model writing the word in cursive and the kids echo the process. Their cursive has vastly improved since we started this routine! After our handwriting work, the kids work in collaborative groups (at their table pods) to find an easy to understand definition and to write a sentence with the word in it. The groups share their definitions and sentences. Then the students create a sketch to help them remember what the word means.

(Click the image to view these notebooks in my TpT Store)

   Usually when I discover a great new app, I try to think of multiple ways to incorporate it with my classroom curriculum. Pic Collage is a great tool that lends to a lot of flexibility of use. So far, I've used it for Book Clubs, Research Posters, Summative Assessments, and Academic Vocabulary.
   At the end of the week, my students have learned five new vocabulary terms. To share their learning, the students can choose any of the words that they've learned and create a Pic Collage about the word. 

The collage must include these features:
The word (spelled correctly)
The definition of the word
A sentence with the word in it (optional)
At least three images related to the word













No comments:

Post a Comment